Troy King backs Trump on immigration, trade, Syria in AL-2 candidacy — ‘I think the president needs some help in Washington’

Many know former Alabama Attorney General Troy King for his stint as Alabama’s top law enforcement official from 2004 through 2011. However, with U.S. Rep. Martha Roby’s (R-Montgomery) announcement she would not seek reelection in 2020, King is looking to make a comeback in politics but for federal office.

King is among a field of Republican hopefuls that currently includes State Rep. Will Dismukes (R-Prattville), Coleman Worldwide Moving president and CEO Jeff Coleman and former State Rep. Barry Moore. Early polling of the race for the Republican nomination gives King an edge over his opponents.

During an interview with Huntsville radio WVNN’s “The Jeff Poor Show,” King shared his views on President Donald Trump and the policy positions he took that many see as having gotten Trump elected president.

King pledged his support for Trump, noting how the commander-in-chief has put “America first again.”

“I admire the president,” King said. “I don’t know that there is a lot of people that would put up with what he puts up with in order to try to save the country. And I believe that is what the president is doing — saving the country. He’s made America first again, and during the Obama years, I’m sad to say it was oftentimes being an apologist for America. We shouldn’t have to apologize. Ronald Reagan said we were a beacon, a light on a hill. And we’ve gone through a lot of dark times when people try to put the light out. I think the president is doing a really good job of rekindling the light back to be a bright beacon of hope and stand up for what America stands for.”

The former state attorney general insists he is not running to be the “Trumpiest” candidate.

“I’m not running as the ‘any’ candidate,” he continued. “Too many people know me. I’ve been in public life for a long time. I believe what I believe, and I’ve stood up for it for a long time. But I think the president needs some help in Washington. They are bound and determined to stop him, and I’m bound and determined not to let them.”

On immigration, King argued opposition to Trump’s policy, which is supported by most Alabamians, was a symptom of those telling people how to think about certain things.

“Let me first say as I go out across Alabama and I talk to people, what I hear from people is people who are just God-fearing, gun-owning, Bible-believing people feel like they’ve been shoved into the corner for a long time and have been told it is not OK to think what you think. It’s not OK to say we are opposed to abortion. It is not OK to say, ‘I own a gun, and I’m proud of it.’ It’s not OK to say we have borders for a reason and they’re called border laws — not border suggestions. They are border laws. And you can’t have a country if you don’t have borders. So, I think as much as anything people in Alabama are fed up with people in Washington saying to us, it’s no OK to think what you think. You need to let us think for you. We’re not going to respect your values. And that’s frankly why the Democrats can’t win an election of the coast of this country. If you get into the heartland of America where people believe like we do — that hard work matters, that law and order matters, they can’t relate to what the Democratic Party stands for.”

King reflected on his time as AG, noting a porous border, had an impact on the state during his tenure.

“Where do I stand on immigration? I was the attorney general of Alabama,” he said. “I saw the drug trafficking. I saw the human trafficking that is coming across the borders … and into Guntersville, into Arab. It’s a horrible problem. Of course, we need to close the borders. Of course, we need legal immigration. Is there a need for immigrants to come to America and do jobs? Well, of course, there is. We need common-sense immigration reform. But more than anything, we need to stop illegal immigrants from coming into the country and finding asylum here. These aren’t asylum seekers. These are people who are coming into this country to bring drugs, to bring crime… and we’re not stopping them. So is immigration important? Of course, it is. So is trade. So all these issues that are spilling over into the national news are important to people across Alabama. But immigration reform resonates in Alabama because of the immigration abuses in Alabama.”

Another plank in Trump’s platform during the 2016 presidential election was a pledge to deal with trade issues regarding China, which Trump, for the most part, from the executive level, has fulfilled. King said he saw the short-term sacrifice as necessary to achieve a long-term goal.

“There’s not a simple, painless solution to fix years of neglect and abuse in the area of trade, and I believe that’s why farmers continue to stand in overwhelming numbers with the president, even as they are making sacrifices in their family income,” King said. “They’re struggling with their family budget. But I think they understand we cannot continue to allow other countries to abuse America. We’ve got to put America first again. Who else would we put first? We’re Americans. I believe that is why farmers, and not just farmer — people all over Alabama — are willing to sacrifice in the short-term to get a long-term trade policy that makes sense. I support what the president is doing, and I think people in Alabama support what the president is doing.”

In recent days, members of Congress have opposed Trump’s move to drawdown troops in Northern Syria. The issue split Alabama’s congressional delegation, with “yes” votes cast by U.S. Reps. Martha Roby (R-Montgomery), Mike Rogers (R-Saks), Robert Aderholt (R-Haleyville), Gary Palmer (R-Hoover) and Terri Sewell (D-Birmingham), and “no” votes cast by U.S. Reps. Mo Brooks (R-Huntsville) and Bradley Byrne (R-Fairhope) on a resolution opposing Trump’s decision to withdraw U.S. forces in Northern Syria.

King argued Trump was attempting to fulfill a campaign promise but added the caveat that maybe there could have been a “better way” to do the drawdown.

“The president has been put in an untenable position,” he said. “The president ran, and I think was elected by a lot of people who believe that these endless wars where we send America’s treasure and her children, and they have fought and bled and died, should end. There was a mandate given to Trump to end these wars, and I believe the president is fulfilling a campaign promise to do that.”

“Maybe could we have found a better way to do it?” King added. “I think we probably could have. But I believe the president is a man of his word, and if you don’t like what he is promising to do, you probably shouldn’t vote for him. But I believe that is one of the reasons he remains so popular in Alabama is because in Alabama we like people that are plain-spoken and say what they are going to do and they mean what they say, and say what they mean. I think that is exactly what we’ve gotten in the president, and I’m glad that there’s been news that there’s going to be a cease-fire.”

@Jeff_Poor is a graduate of Auburn University, the editor of Breitbart TV and host of “The Jeff Poor Show” from 2-5 p.m. on WVNN in Huntsville.

11 mins ago

Birmingham marketing firm tapped for Super Bowl ad

Birmingham-headquartered marketing firm Big Communications has made a Super Bowl ad promoting the Fox broadcast of the 2020 Daytona 500.

The firm was tasked with making the ad by Fox Sports’ marketing team. When the ad airs on Sunday, it will be the first time in Big’s 25-year history that one of their ads will broadcast during the Super Bowl, which is the advertising industry’s biggest event of the year. Recent Super Bowls have averaged around 100 million American television viewers.

Blake Danforth, vice president of marketing for Fox Sports, credits Big’s award-winning work on Valvoline’s Never Idle campaign with piquing his interest in the firm.

In a statement, Danforth said, “Big’s creative team had a genuine understanding of exactly what makes NASCAR fans love the sport with such an unrelenting, unrivaled intensity.”

“Promoting something as huge as the Great American Race on the biggest stage in all of advertising — that’s kind of a big deal,” commented Ford Wiles, Big partner and chief creative officer.

“This is the kind of moment that we live for — putting Alabama’s talent on display for the world to see,” Wiles concluded.

You can view Big’s Super Bowl ad here.

Henry Thornton is a staff writer for Yellowhammer News. You can contact him by email: henry@yellowhammernews.com or on Twitter @HenryThornton95.

47 mins ago

Monument to gold star families will be added to Huntsville’s Veterans Memorial

The Huntsville-Madison County Veterans Memorial, a park on the north side of Huntsville’s downtown area, will be adding a monument to gold star families in 2020.

Gold Star families are those who have lost a member during service in the United States Armed Forces.

The monument is the final planned addition to the veterans memorial, a project that was first dedicated on 11/11/2011. Its origin dates back to 2000 when a half-sized replica of the Vietnam memorial was temporarily displayed in Huntsville. Some residents wanted something more permanent.

“The Veterans Memorial has been erected not to commemorate the glory of battle or triumph of victory, but to honor the service and sacrifice of our veterans, and to pay homage to those heroes we have lost,” said Brigadier General (Retired) Bob Drolet, chair of the Huntsville-Madison County Veterans Memorial Foundation.

The monument to the gold star families is designed and aided by the Hershel “Woody” Williams Medal of Honor Foundation, a foundation that has helped install similar monuments across the United States. To date, the group has placed 59 monuments across 45 states.

An identical monument was recently announced for installation in Mobile.

The primary sponsors of the Huntsville installation are Mike and Christine Wicks.

The Gold Star Family Memorial to be installed in Huntsville will be the first of its kind in Alabama.

The four panels on the back of the monument will read, “Homeland, Family, Patriot, and Sacrifice.”

Bruce Pearl praises religious freedom in Alabama — ‘I can live here in Auburn and practice my faith’

Speaking to members of the media Monday on Holocaust Remembrance Day, Auburn University head basketball coach Bruce Pearl lauded the religious freedom he enjoys living in the state of Alabama. He also called for unity and spoke strongly against anti-Semitism.

Pearl last spring became the fourth Jewish head coach in NCAA history to take a team to the Final Four. He was the first president of the Jewish Coaches Association.

“Today has always been a difficult day for me as it Holocaust Remembrance Day,” the coach said on Monday in the opening statement of his press availability.

“I was born in 1960, 15 years after we opened up the gates in Auschwitz and discovered the atrocities,” he continued. “We vow to never let that happen again to anyone. Anti-Semitism is a terrible thing. As a Jewish man, I’ve lived with it my whole life and I’ve seen its ugly face many times.”

Pearl explained, “That’s why I’m so blessed to live in this country where there is great religious freedom. I can live here in Auburn and practice my faith.”

“The great challenge for me has always been that we are brothers. We are all brothers. We are all sisters. We are all related,” he outlined. “Abraham had two sons: Isaac and Ishmael. That makes us brothers because we have the same father – Abraham the father of many nations. Jesus was born a Jew and he died a Jew. That makes me brothers with my Christian brothers. If we can focus on that, whether you agree with it or not, that’s not my point. The point is we have a lot more in common than we have apart. We should celebrate those. We should never tolerate racism or something like anti-Semitism. What I would ask you all to remember is: never again.”

RELATED: Bruce Pearl slams AOC for ‘concentration camps’ tweets: ‘Attempt to rewrite the Holocaust’

Ivey previews 2020 State of the State — ‘Challenges to address’

MONTGOMERY — Speaking at a gathering of the Alabama Council of Association Executives at Montgomery City Hall on Tuesday morning, Governor Kay Ivey gave a glimpse of her top priorities heading into the 2020 state legislative session.

The session gavels in at noon this coming Tuesday, February 4 — seven days from Ivey’s remarks. Her 2020 State of the State Address will follow the start of the session that evening, before President Donald Trump’s State of the Union Address.

Ivey took to the podium Tuesday morning to an enthusiastic standing ovation.

“Already, 2020 is shaping up to be a pivotal year for our state and our people,” the governor said.

While noting the “great things” going on with the Yellowhammer State’s record-breaking economy, Ivey added, “But y’all, we do have some work to do and some challenges to address.”

She urged everyone to tune into her State of the State Address next week for more specifics while broadly underlining some of the “challenges” she will discuss in that speech and tackle this year.

The governor listed “the upcoming Census, our prison concerns, healthcare, mental healthcare and education reform” as the top 2020 issues.

“2020 will be a make or break year regarding our Census. … I cannot emphasize enough the importance of having a full, accurate count in the 2020 Census,” Ivey stressed. “These numbers directly impact our representation in the United States House of Representatives and directly impact billions — with a ‘b’ — of dollars that come to our state, including funds for community programs, healthcare, education and job opportunities.”

“Ten years ago when we had the [last] Census, an estimated one million children went uncounted [in Alabama],” she continued. “Folks, we’ve got to close this gap and be sure that every person who’s living and breathing in Alabama completes a Census form and returns it — parents do it for their children. This is a must.”

Transitioning to her next priority, Ivey lamented, “Another large issue that has gone unaddressed in our state for decades is our heinous prison conditions.”

She acknowledged the state’s prison problems as “multifaceted and longstanding.”

In turn, Ivey said, a “multifaceted solution” will be needed.

“Y’all, this is an Alabama problem, and we’re going to have an Alabama solution for it,” the governor added. “It’s absolutely imperative we in the state of Alabama solve our prison problems. If we don’t, the Department of Justice will come in, take over, control the administration, control our funds … so failure is not an option.”

Ivey subsequently urged all Alabamians to vote “yes” on statewide Amendment One on March 3. She referred to this as the type of “bold action” needed to improve the state’s public education system.

Three partners elected at Balch & Bingham

One of Alabama’s most prestigious law firms has elected three new partners, the firm announced on Tuesday.

Ryan Hodinka, Alan Lovett and Dan Ruth will receive the much-desired designation with Balch & Bingham, a firm that has over 200 attorneys.

All three are based in the firm’s Birmingham office and work in high-impact areas of Balch’s wide-ranging offerings.

“I am pleased to welcome this talented group of emerging leaders to our partnership. They have demonstrated the highest ideals of client service, collaboration and commitment to excellence,” said Stan Blanton, Balch & Bingham managing partner.

Hodinka focuses on litigation, where he represents companies in matters concerning commercial, construction and products liability.

Lovett works mainly on energy issues. He will give guidance to utility companies in commercial and regulatory issues. Lovett also specializes in all aspects of nuclear energy production.

Ruth’s primary area of concern is corporations. Ruth will advise all manner of companies and organizations on issues like mergers and acquisitions, tax controversies and economic development initiatives.

“Their talents and dedication will continue to lead the way for our clients, staff and attorneys well into the future,” added Blanton.