Pastor Harry Reeder: Abortion industry ‘doulas’ try to normalize killing of unborn, but we know abortion is not normal
- Dr. Harry Reeder: The sexual revolution an ‘all-out assault’ on our culture
- British government resignations signal problems
- What Alan Dershowitz’ shunning says about snowflake culture and intolerance for debate
- Why the Supreme Court’s labor union decision is a win for freedom and education
- Parents denied access to public school sex education materials is shocking government overreach
- Leadership crucial in the church, life
- Reflecting on Independence Day and its meaning
- Justice Kennedy’s retirement and what it could mean for the direction of the country
- How the church and strong families can help adolescents deal with depression
- Should sex offenders be able to adopt?
- What the Presbyterian Church (USA)’s General Assembly prayer gets wrong
- Is it just? Farm Bill requires able-bodied on food stamps to work part-time or get job-training
- Is Alabama-founded PCA church encouraging gay people to identify by sin?
- Alabama pastor to the suicidal: ‘Banish the thought of destruction. It’s not the answer’, ‘Many’ of us want to help
- How to think about ‘human rights council’ and elitist concept of abortion as ‘human right’
- Alabama pastor’s analysis of immigrant parent-child border separation controversy
- James Comey echo of J. Edgar Hoover — amassing power, declaring himself moral authority in FBI
- Historic North Korea Summit explainer and backstory
- News Fatigue? How to think about abundance of 24-hr ‘news’
- Where do you turn when your church strays from your faith?
- Unreal — Medical how-to book for counseling ‘religious’ women that abortion is okay
- Remembering RFK
- It’s inexcusable Clinton didn’t personally apologize to Lewinsky
- Planned Parenthood ignores crime in singular pursuit of death culture
- Do we really want a society that says ANY sexual behavior is fine?
- Reflections from Israel — and how it has changed in the past 30 years
- How to think about ‘aging pastors’ and ‘scarcity’ of millennials in ministry
- What does Christian liberty mean?
- Oh boy … Americans don’t think they sin very often
- How ‘church growth at all costs’ mentality weakens worship
- Should Facebook be the ‘new church’ and ultimate hate speech judge?
- How to think about Memorial Day
- When did marriage, parenthood become about self-fulfillment?
- Government branches must hold each other accountable, not circumvent each other
- Why Christians should visit holy lands
- Making sense of Trump’s negotiations
- Why Trump was right to move embassy to Jerusalem
- Stay married through ‘hurricane’ years, struggles — it’s worth it
- Insanity: NYC mayor wants to enable drug use
- Why it’s crucial that parents examine college faculties
- Why Marxism is cool again — with people who don’t know of its horrors
- A pastor’s perspective on Alabama Attorney General’s ‘Faith Forum’ at Briarwood
- Does archaeology prove or disprove the Bible?
- Don’t get hung up on church numbers — focus on church health, not size
- In the U.K., you only have value if you are wanted
- Startling number of Christians are persecuted around the world
- What is North Korea’s motivation?
- PARENTS: Who is teaching your child, the iPad, the teacher you disagree with, or you?
- Alfie Evans and the ever-encroaching overreach of the state, diminishment of parental rights
- Randa Jarrar and free speech
- Proposed California law will lead to persecution of Christians, possible outlawing of Bible sales
- How should Christians think about Trump’s North Korea stance?
- Barbara Bush and the unique legacies First Ladies leave
- Paul Ryan is understandably ‘bone-tired’ — but I do wish he could stay
- Why the Syrian strike was justified
- Christian colleges: Will you fold under cultural pressures or actually BE what you say you are?
- Transgender chaos playing out as predicted
- Does Facebook smoosh conservative posts? YES. But regulation is not the answer
- What Toys ‘R Us, colleges, and social security have in common
- College class gets it terribly wrong. Christians aren’t privileged — Christianity produces privileges for everyone
- Gender chaos leads to societal chaos
- Cultural Marxism: Do you know what it is and how to fight it?
- How parents can combat Planned Parenthood’s shocking deviant sex education
- Sorry and all, but yes there is a Heaven and Hell
- When elected officials campaign on promises they don’t keep
- Does archeology prove the Bible is true?
- Are the millions of lives lost to abortion less important than lives lost to gun violence?
- We must not sacrifice consistent morality for political pragmatism
- Why do Christians call Christ’s death ‘Good Friday’?
- Single parenthood may be a heroic struggle, but it’s not ideal and shouldn’t be promoted
- Freedoms of speech, religion go hand in hand and are being threatened — even in Christian college classes
- States are trying to criminalize the free speech of those seeking to protect unborn life
- Christian movie revenue shocks Hollywood, blows past estimates — here’s why you need to see it
- Care about free speech? Keep your eyes on Supreme Court dealing with California abortion law
- Why pornography is far from ‘victimless’ and how to quit using it
- Cultural Marxists are using schools, courts to target Christianity
- No, Joy Behar, it’s not a ‘mental illness’ when the Lord speaks to us through his Word
- Despite what Washington Post writer says, Down Syndrome children are only undesirable to selfish, arrogant people
- Facebook’s ‘fact checker’ says the killing of unborn babies in abortion is a ‘disputed fact’
- Be sure your (Twitter) sins will find you out
- Reasons for pro-lifers to rejoice — and double-down — on abortion issues
- How to debate with decorum … and why profane, vulgar arguments reveal weak arguments & minds
- WAKE UP: Pornography is not victimless — it destroys lives and kills people
- Persecution, violence against Christians significantly increased world-wide in 2017
- 3 things contributing to the U.S. drop in life expectancy
- Gov’t attempted to silence this Christian who’s bringing Martin Luther King’s fight to modern times
- Iranian Christians fleeing persecution should get U.S. care and refuge
- What we can learn from the Alabama & Georgia quarterbacks’ post-game responses
- What does academic intolerance of real debate mean for free speech?
- Do you know the frivolous programs your tax dollars fund?
- Blaring Bannon coverage begs question: What’s happened to journalism?
- Call to Christians: Engage in politics & evangelism out of love for neighbor
- New York City votes to fine Biblical counselors for gender dysphoria therapy
- 10 campaign promises Donald Trump kept — or attempted to keep — in his first year
- Is it pointless to make New Year’s resolutions?
- The top 11 news, faith and culture headlines of 2017
- American attitudes about children contribute to our shrinking birth rate
- Here’s what Trump got right (and wrong) in his national security speech
- Tax reform explained: How it helps our culture, our families, our economics
- Advent and Christmas, ever wondered what’s the difference?
- Reformed Christians have lost one of their great theologians, pastors
- The 2 ungodly reactions to politics, current events that Christians must avoid
- Want our trust? The 7 things an elected official MUST do to gain it
- Christian voters faced 4 options in Senate race … only 1 is inexcusable, says Evangelical pastor
- Where the death culture leads: Lawsuits over disabled children who ‘should’ have been aborted
- What’s at stake in the Masterpiece Cakeshop Supreme Court decision
- How to put Trump’s U.S. embassy move to Jerusalem in historical and biblical perspective
- Pastor Harry Reeder: There is hope and a way forward for the Matt Lauers in our lives
- Pastor Harry Reeder: If Supreme Court gets Colorado cake baker, same-sex marriage case wrong, it will be culture tipping point
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Liberal ‘Christianity’ is antithetical to Christianity
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Abortion industry ‘doulas’ try to normalize killing of unborn, but we know abortion is not normal
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Trump’s judicial nominee list shows his commitment to originalists and constitutionalists
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Some evangelicals disagree, but here’s why it’s good to emphasize church celebrations during Christmas
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Our military is weakening and here’s why we need it strong
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Why would we be surprised when culture lives out sexual sin it has promoted for years?
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Churches must stay on-mission as evangelists, not cultural acceptance-seekers
- Pastor Harry Reeder: The Museum of the Bible is a great idea…provided we don’t worship the Bible
- Harry Reeder on sexual reckoning: Our conscience tells us ‘something’s wrong here’ even while our culture promotes sin
- Reeder: We have to be honest despite history rewrites– Pilgrims gave thanks to God
- Reeder: It is ‘absolutely ludicrous’ to think a mother’s absence in crucial first 3 years has no effect
- Reeder: Australian same-sex marriage survey a ‘profile in cowardice’ not courage
- Reeder: Believers ‘speaking up’ made real difference in adoption tax credit provision
- Reeder: Secular culture wants more than ‘tolerance’, insists upon abortion and sexual anarchy ‘celebration’
- Reeder on Roy Moore chaos: ‘Do the next right thing’
- Reeder: Here’s what Christians should say when traditional marriage views are labeled ‘bigotry’
- Reeder on church leaders not meeting privately with the other sex: ‘I’ll take the criticism….I learned it from Billy Graham’
- Reeder on LGBTQ campus activists: ‘They don’t want to debate what a marriage actually is. They want to silence those they cannot answer.’
- Yes, it’s ridiculous there’s a new religion dedicated to AI….but here’s why it matters
- Feeling any Christmas guilt? Here’s the type you should ignore and the type you should face
- Reeder on Tuesday’s elections: ‘To see this as a referendum on Trump is overstating it’
- Two terminally-ill patients who refused assisted suicide to help others & show life’s sanctity
- Lots of older pastors, not many young ones — what’s going on?
- Commercial Surrogacy: The objectification of child-bearing
- Elitist ‘gender-isn’t-real’ culture has descended into sophisticated imbecility
- Chaplain who refused marriage retreat to same-sex couple is up against elite culture enforcers
- Sen. Booker’s grilling of Pompeo prime example of ‘religious test’ to exclude evangelical Christians from office
- GENDER ABSURDITY: A nation, led by pop culture, descends into chaos
- How culture rot happens: Unthinkable –> Laughable –> Thinkable –> Accepted
- How Christians should submit to the government’s law
- How to avoid going ‘wobbly’ on the truth
Listen to the 10 min audio
Read the transcript:
TOM LAMPRECHT: Harry, I want to take you to a couple of good news/bad news stories. The good news out of National Review: Last week, The Center for Disease Control released U.S. abortion data for the year 2014 indicating that the U.S. abortion rate declined, which began back in the early 1980’s and continues at a steady pace. According to the CDC, both the number of abortions and the abortion rate declined by about 2 percent between 2013 and 2014. The second story out of World Magazine: Oregon officials have misspent about $152 million in taxpayer money, including $1.8 million in federal funds allocated for abortions according to a new report.
DR. REEDER: I’m reminded of, I think it was, Senator Everett Dirksen, years ago when I was growing up, who said, “A million here, and a million there – before long, you’re talking about real money, aren’t you?” Now we’re in trillions and we drown ourselves in the terms.
And so, here’s $147 million that a state – a midwestern state which, by the way, has nowhere near the financial revenues like the State of New York or California involved – but let’s look at all these large numbers. You lose $147 million and, by the way, over here’s just a couple of million that has now been sequestered to promote abortion by the state through Planned Parenthood.
Well, let’s don’t get to that story first. Let me get to the other story, the good news part – and that is the decrease in the number – and it continues to decrease year by year – in the number of abortions.
Now, what is going to be stated by the news outlets – and understandably – is they’re going to simply say, “Well, that’s because we make available birth control devices and chemical abortion pills and, therefore, the number of reported abortions continues to decline.
And I’m not denying – particularly, the matter of at-home pills to engage in chemical abortions – I am not denying that that doesn’t have some effect in the raw numbers, themselves, but there’s another issue.
You can see it, for instance in our own city, the closing down of the abortion clinics that are here, the view of abortionists as the pariahs of the medical field – which they ought to be viewed as such – and then the revelation the No. 1 proponent of abortion, Planned Parenthood, with all of its corruption and its unseemliness as well and the fact that the arguments constantly go in the pro-life direction.
It is not hard to get into a public debate in order to affirm the sanctity of life in any and every situation you find yourself and so, when you do, you continually bring to bear in the court of public opinion, this distaste for abortion even though it has become a right of passage. It’s actually a sacrament of the secular progressive religion and movement because it undergirds the whole Sexual Revolution in rebellion against God.
I’m preaching right now about how Jesus has redeemed us from all lawlessness. Now, why is sin called “lawlessness?” Well, because sin is the transgression of God’s word. And, in our sin, here is where we are: We’re born with a sin nature and, unless God’s grace restrains us in common grace or changes us in redeeming grace, we stand with a clenched fist against God and we will not embrace His Law.
We will not embrace His creation law. We will not embrace His revealed law. We will self-identify not how God made us, but how we say we ought to be. We will declare sex can be practiced anywhere we want to and, by the way, whenever you do that, you have consequences and one of the chief consequences of the Sexual Revolution is unwanted pregnancy.
So, what do we do? We push for the opportunity – the right, the privilege and now we declare it a constitutional right – to end the life of an unwanted child which is there, many times, not because of rape or incest – that’s less than 1 percent – it is there because of the Sexual Revolution so we want to erase the inconvenience of our sin and we want to say it’s normal to do that.
My friend, Al Mohler, did a program on this recently. There was a wonderful institution called the “doula,” which was a woman who was trained to care for the emotional well-being of a woman when delivering her child.
Well, now the abortion industry, because of all of the difficulties around abortion and because of the very thing that I’m talking about that we know it’s not right, they have now developed the abortion industry doula.
It’s interesting – the doula in a birth room is talking the woman through the process. “Oh, you’re having a baby. Oh, look, everything’s going well. How are you feeling? Remember these moments,” and it’s coming alongside them, encouraging them, “What a glorious moment,” celebrating the moment.
Now, what does the doula in the abortion industry do? Here’s their training: “Well, listen, you don’t need to think about this now. By the way, this is normal, the feelings that you’re feeling about the killing of this child. That’s normal.” And, as he said in his analysis, every time you have to keep telling somebody, “This is normal,” when you have to keep repeating it, what you’re really revealing is that, “It’s not normal. We want you to think it’s normal but, actually, it’s not normal.”
And the whole purpose of the doula is to distract the woman from what’s actually taking place and her feelings about what is taking place. We have an industry in which the purveyors of it are seen as medical pariahs, the people who try to support it burn out overnight and, therefore, it is in demise for which I’m grateful.
However, here’s what we need to realize from a Christian world and life view: While the statistics are going down for various reasons, some of them very positive, the fact is our nation keeps tenaciously holding to the right to kill a child to erase the unwanted effects of the Sexual Revolution that says that sex is not designed by God to enjoy within marriage for the blessing of the marriage and procreation within marriage – it is there to be enjoyed for one’s own gratification.
And, of course, need I simply point out the catastrophic consequences of sex being viewed as a matter of personal gratification in terms of the current meltdown of sexual predators within the industries of power such as politics and the media and Hollywood?
TOM LAMPRECHT: It is interesting, as you look at the situation in Oregon, it’s not atypical where you see many different individuals and groups of individuals saying, “We know what the law says, but we can come back and say we’re sorry later. We’re going to spend these funds like we want to spend them.”
DR. REEDER: As one guy said one time, “Follow the money.” If you’ll trace this back, it’s amazing that the bureaucrats – who are put in place by elected officials who are heavily funded in their campaigns by the abortion industry, in general, and Planned Parenthood, in particular, – what I believe is taking place is, through the, “mistakes,” and through the turning of the eye and the accounting mistakes, there is the trough of public money going to Planned Parenthood because those who have been elected, by their support in the community, they have to pay them back and that’s their payback.
We could go into numerous states and the federal government to point out how this is happening continually. This, “Oops, mistake,” $140-something million, oh, and by the way, look how much went to support abortion.
By the way, how much of that makes it into the coffers of Planned Parenthood, who, by the way, made the contributions for the elected officials who were overseeing the public monies that were siphoned off into the abortion industry.
If these are genuine mistakes, then somebody ought to lose their job to make that kind of a mistake. If you were in a corporation and you’re the chief financial officer and you did this, you would be gone if it’s a mistake. That won’t happen because it’s not a mistake.
I believe that this is an orchestrated payback to the abortion industry, in general, and Planned Parenthood in particular. And, unfortunately for them, there are audits so it does come out so now they have to do the mea culpa, “Oops, mistake. We’ll try not to move so many decimal points next time.”
TOM LAMPRECHT: Harry, we are out of time for today. Tomorrow, let’s go over the Europe. There’s several stories I want to cover, including Sweden’s national Evangelical Lutheran Church. They’re urging their clergy to stop using gender pronouns.
DR. REEDER: As well as an unbelievably incoherent decision that is being propagated in France concerning a statue so let’s talk about that tomorrow.
Dr. Harry L. Reeder III is the Senior Pastor of Briarwood Presbyterian Church in Birmingham.
This podcast was transcribed by Jessica Havin. Jessica is editorial assistant for Yellowhammer News. Jessica has transcribed some of the top podcasts in the country and her work has been featured in a New York Times Bestseller.