74.2 F
Mobile
73.6 F
Huntsville
72.6 F
Birmingham
73.7 F
Montgomery

UPDATE: City of Hoover reportedly charges protest leader with disorderly conduct

Hoover protest leader Carlos Chaverst, Jr. posted on Facebook Friday night that he is being charged in Hoover with “felony assault” on two security guards at the Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa.

The incident in question occurred Thursday evening. You can read Yellowhammer News’ report on the alleged assaults here.

“Hoover Police Department is charging me with felony assault on the two security guards that were ‘assaulted’ at Ross Bridge Resort,” Chaverst said, adding “#NoJusticeNoPeace.”

Yellowhammer News has reached out to the Hoover Police Department for comment.

Chaverst has been the public face of protests in the wake of Emantic “E.J.” Bradford, Jr.’s death in an officer-involved shooting at the Riverchase Galleria on Thanksgiving night. An investigation is currently being conducted by the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), which is a division of the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA).

Before saying that he was being charged, Chaverst posted on Facebook Friday afternoon saying he would be attending “nonviolent civil disobedience training” later that day and on Saturday.

He also wrote on Friday that, “If they are starting to arrest we are ready!!!”

He did not elaborate on what that meant but has said previously that they would “respond and act accordingly” based on how law enforcement treated them.

Update, 8:55 p.m.:

Chaverst has updated his post, saying, “[T]he District Attorney in the Bessemer cutoff declined to sign-off on the felony charges. Hoover is exploring the options of filing the charges as misdemeanor assault.”

Update, 11:05 p.m.:

Chaverst wrote a new Facebook post, stating that Hoover PD charged him “with disorderly conduct.”

He complained that he was not “ever given a warning” and that he was not told he was being disorderly.

“I’ll fight it in court and hit them with a civil lawsuit. This lil $500 bond don’t stop no show!!” Chaverst said.

He concluded that he plans to turn himself in on Saturday, “post bail THEN protest!”

Update, Saturday, 9:30 p.m.:

The City of Hoover tweeted, “The city has not charged anyone with felony assault in reference to the recent protests.”

In an earlier tweet, the city addressed Chaverst saying he was being charged with felony assault, saying, “This is false information that was posted by the individual on his Facebook page.”

Update, Saturday, 10:15 p.m.:

When asked if “the individual” was being charged with anything, the City of Hoover responded, “In light of the injuries that have occurred, HPD is reviewing all protest activity for possible violations.”

Sean Ross is a staff writer for Yellowhammer News. You can follow him on Twitter @sean_yhn

Don’t miss out!  Subscribe today to have Alabama’s leading headlines delivered to your inbox.