82.5 F
Mobile
72.9 F
Huntsville
78.1 F
Birmingham
52.8 F
Montgomery

Hooper accuser asks sex abuse charge be dismissed, seeks ‘public apology’

The accuser in the Aug. 16 incident involving former State Rep. Perry Hooper Jr. (R-Montgomery) has requested the sexual abuse charge be dismissed.

Hooper was indicted last week.

In a statement released by Alexander City attorney Dianne James Davis, the woman said “a sincere public apology” from Hooper would suffice.

“I have asked that any charges against Perry Hooper be dismissed,” she said. “The matters relating to Mr. Hooper and me have been resolved and going through the turmoil of a trial would provide no more justice than getting a sincere public apology from Mr. Hooper. I so respect and appreciate law enforcement and the job they have to perform, nevertheless, I request these charges be dismissed.”

Hooper, 68, was taken into custody by the U.S. Marshals Task Force shortly after the alleged incident took place at Ravello Ristorante in downtown Montgomery.

According to court filings, the former lawmaker “grabbed the victim’s breasts and waist while shoving his pelvis against the victim’s backside.” The affidavit further states, “He then began kissing her neck before she was able to break free.”

Hooper was held at the Montgomery County Detention Facility and released on $15,000 bail. His next court date is reportedly scheduled for Dec. 21.

Dylan Smith is the editor of Yellowhammer News. You can follow him on Twitter @DylanSmithAL

Don’t miss out!  Subscribe today to have Alabama’s leading headlines delivered to your inbox.