The state management of oysters will be the topic this month at a meeting hosted by the Marine Resources Division of the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.
The event is Aug. 24 from 1-3 p.m. at the Bayou La Batre Community and Senior Center, 12745 Padgett Switch Road in Irvington.
During the meeting, representatives will:
- Review 2023 oyster reef survey results
- Review the reef grid system and its use in oyster reef and harvest management
- Provide a potential date and areas to open for public oyster harvest
- Review check-in/check-out procedures at the Oyster Management Station
- Show oyster harvester education video for harvesters needing recertification
For ADA accommodations, contact Jason Herrmann at [email protected] or 251-861-2882. Requests should be made as soon as possible but at least two days before the meeting.
Austen Shipley is a staff writer for Yellowhammer News.