Yes, it’s ridiculous there’s a new religion dedicated to AI….but here’s why it matters
- Government branches must hold each other accountable, not circumvent each other
- Why Christians should visit holy lands
- Making sense of Trump’s negotiations
- Why Trump was right to move embassy to Jerusalem
- Stay married through ‘hurricane’ years, struggles — it’s worth it
- Insanity: NYC mayor wants to enable drug use
- Why it’s crucial that parents examine college faculties
- Why Marxism is cool again — with people who don’t know of its horrors
- A pastor’s perspective on Alabama Attorney General’s ‘Faith Forum’ at Briarwood
- Does archaeology prove or disprove the Bible?
- Don’t get hung up on church numbers — focus on church health, not size
- In the U.K., you only have value if you are wanted
- Startling number of Christians are persecuted around the world
- What is North Korea’s motivation?
- PARENTS: Who is teaching your child, the iPad, the teacher you disagree with, or you?
- Alfie Evans and the ever-encroaching overreach of the state, diminishment of parental rights
- Randa Jarrar and free speech
- Proposed California law will lead to persecution of Christians, possible outlawing of Bible sales
- How should Christians think about Trump’s North Korea stance?
- Barbara Bush and the unique legacies First Ladies leave
- Paul Ryan is understandably ‘bone-tired’ — but I do wish he could stay
- Why the Syrian strike was justified
- Christian colleges: Will you fold under cultural pressures or actually BE what you say you are?
- Transgender chaos playing out as predicted
- Does Facebook smoosh conservative posts? YES. But regulation is not the answer
- What Toys ‘R Us, colleges, and social security have in common
- College class gets it terribly wrong. Christians aren’t privileged — Christianity produces privileges for everyone
- Gender chaos leads to societal chaos
- Cultural Marxism: Do you know what it is and how to fight it?
- How parents can combat Planned Parenthood’s shocking deviant sex education
- Sorry and all, but yes there is a Heaven and Hell
- When elected officials campaign on promises they don’t keep
- Does archeology prove the Bible is true?
- Are the millions of lives lost to abortion less important than lives lost to gun violence?
- We must not sacrifice consistent morality for political pragmatism
- Why do Christians call Christ’s death ‘Good Friday’?
- Single parenthood may be a heroic struggle, but it’s not ideal and shouldn’t be promoted
- Freedoms of speech, religion go hand in hand and are being threatened — even in Christian college classes
- States are trying to criminalize the free speech of those seeking to protect unborn life
- Christian movie revenue shocks Hollywood, blows past estimates — here’s why you need to see it
- Care about free speech? Keep your eyes on Supreme Court dealing with California abortion law
- Why pornography is far from ‘victimless’ and how to quit using it
- Cultural Marxists are using schools, courts to target Christianity
- No, Joy Behar, it’s not a ‘mental illness’ when the Lord speaks to us through his Word
- Despite what Washington Post writer says, Down Syndrome children are only undesirable to selfish, arrogant people
- Facebook’s ‘fact checker’ says the killing of unborn babies in abortion is a ‘disputed fact’
- Be sure your (Twitter) sins will find you out
- Reasons for pro-lifers to rejoice — and double-down — on abortion issues
- How to debate with decorum … and why profane, vulgar arguments reveal weak arguments & minds
- WAKE UP: Pornography is not victimless — it destroys lives and kills people
- Persecution, violence against Christians significantly increased world-wide in 2017
- 3 things contributing to the U.S. drop in life expectancy
- Gov’t attempted to silence this Christian who’s bringing Martin Luther King’s fight to modern times
- Iranian Christians fleeing persecution should get U.S. care and refuge
- What we can learn from the Alabama & Georgia quarterbacks’ post-game responses
- What does academic intolerance of real debate mean for free speech?
- Do you know the frivolous programs your tax dollars fund?
- Blaring Bannon coverage begs question: What’s happened to journalism?
- Call to Christians: Engage in politics & evangelism out of love for neighbor
- New York City votes to fine Biblical counselors for gender dysphoria therapy
- 10 campaign promises Donald Trump kept — or attempted to keep — in his first year
- Is it pointless to make New Year’s resolutions?
- The top 11 news, faith and culture headlines of 2017
- American attitudes about children contribute to our shrinking birth rate
- Here’s what Trump got right (and wrong) in his national security speech
- Tax reform explained: How it helps our culture, our families, our economics
- Advent and Christmas, ever wondered what’s the difference?
- Reformed Christians have lost one of their great theologians, pastors
- The 2 ungodly reactions to politics, current events that Christians must avoid
- Want our trust? The 7 things an elected official MUST do to gain it
- Christian voters faced 4 options in Senate race … only 1 is inexcusable, says Evangelical pastor
- Where the death culture leads: Lawsuits over disabled children who ‘should’ have been aborted
- What’s at stake in the Masterpiece Cakeshop Supreme Court decision
- How to put Trump’s U.S. embassy move to Jerusalem in historical and biblical perspective
- Pastor Harry Reeder: There is hope and a way forward for the Matt Lauers in our lives
- Pastor Harry Reeder: If Supreme Court gets Colorado cake baker, same-sex marriage case wrong, it will be culture tipping point
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Liberal ‘Christianity’ is antithetical to Christianity
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Abortion industry ‘doulas’ try to normalize killing of unborn, but we know abortion is not normal
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Trump’s judicial nominee list shows his commitment to originalists and constitutionalists
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Some evangelicals disagree, but here’s why it’s good to emphasize church celebrations during Christmas
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Our military is weakening and here’s why we need it strong
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Why would we be surprised when culture lives out sexual sin it has promoted for years?
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Churches must stay on-mission as evangelists, not cultural acceptance-seekers
- Pastor Harry Reeder: The Museum of the Bible is a great idea…provided we don’t worship the Bible
- Harry Reeder on sexual reckoning: Our conscience tells us ‘something’s wrong here’ even while our culture promotes sin
- Reeder: We have to be honest despite history rewrites– Pilgrims gave thanks to God
- Reeder: It is ‘absolutely ludicrous’ to think a mother’s absence in crucial first 3 years has no effect
- Reeder: Australian same-sex marriage survey a ‘profile in cowardice’ not courage
- Reeder: Believers ‘speaking up’ made real difference in adoption tax credit provision
- Reeder: Secular culture wants more than ‘tolerance’, insists upon abortion and sexual anarchy ‘celebration’
- Reeder on Roy Moore chaos: ‘Do the next right thing’
- Reeder: Here’s what Christians should say when traditional marriage views are labeled ‘bigotry’
- Reeder on church leaders not meeting privately with the other sex: ‘I’ll take the criticism….I learned it from Billy Graham’
- Reeder on LGBTQ campus activists: ‘They don’t want to debate what a marriage actually is. They want to silence those they cannot answer.’
- Yes, it’s ridiculous there’s a new religion dedicated to AI….but here’s why it matters
- Feeling any Christmas guilt? Here’s the type you should ignore and the type you should face
- Reeder on Tuesday’s elections: ‘To see this as a referendum on Trump is overstating it’
- Two terminally-ill patients who refused assisted suicide to help others & show life’s sanctity
- Lots of older pastors, not many young ones — what’s going on?
- Commercial Surrogacy: The objectification of child-bearing
- Elitist ‘gender-isn’t-real’ culture has descended into sophisticated imbecility
- Chaplain who refused marriage retreat to same-sex couple is up against elite culture enforcers
- Sen. Booker’s grilling of Pompeo prime example of ‘religious test’ to exclude evangelical Christians from office
- How to avoid going ‘wobbly’ on the truth
Listen to the 10-min. audio:
Read the transcript:
TOM LAMPRECHT: Harry, “Evangelical Focus” is reporting on a new religion to worship artificial intelligence. Former Google and Uber engineer, Anthony Levandowski, founded the “Way of the Future,” which aims to create a deity based on artificial intelligence for the betterment of society. Levandowski filed paperwork in 2015 to establish “Way of the Future,” dedicated to worshipping artificial intelligence.
DR. REEDER: A lot of our fellow believers out there are saying, “Now, why are you all taking time on this program to talk about something so: 1.), infantile, 2.), insidious as this notion of a religion, whereby, artificial intelligence is now going to be worshipped by the people who have encoded the artificial intelligence so that it is accessible by technology?”
In the Old Testament, we are informed of the reality of idolatry. Idolatry is anything that you worship in front of, beside of, or above the God of Glory.
There are a lot of things I love, and appreciate, and, to some degree, adore and have my allegiance to, but it’s always under the Lordship of Christ and, if I can’t do it under the Lordship of Christ, then I don’t do it.
The word “idolatry” comes from the word “latria,” which means “to worship.” Idolatry is wrong worship, or misguided worship, or blasphemous worship. What we want to give to the Lord is latria. Latria is the worship of the Triune God of Glory.
However, here’s a fact – please jot it down from a Christian world and life view – that people are going to worship. Now, there are some people out there that look at what we’re just talking about today and saying, “How ridiculous is that?” Yet, if you look at their life carefully – their time, their talents, their treasure, their adoration, their allegiance, their conversation – they will reveal what, in their heart, they worship.
The other day, I flew to New Jersey and, as I try to be frugal, I got one of the cheap seats that they offer, which meant I was going to get a seat in between two people. I walked in and looked and saw that two of the largest human beings I’ve ever seen in my life were in those seats – one on the aisle and one next to the window.
Both of these guys were so big and one of the reasons is, by the way, they were both ex-football players. And we were on that flight and, from the moment we took off to the moment we landed, I heard about almost every college football game, its schedule, who was rated, the recruiting classes, who was doing what, the Heisman trophy – I’ve never heard such knowledgeable people in my life.
Well, you don’t get that information just by walking by a newsstand. These were guys that were utterly devoted. Do you remember the Bible says that the 3,000 were converted at Jerusalem and then it says they intentionally devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching? Why? Because they loved Jesus and they worshipped the God of Glory.
These guys had intentionally devoted themselves to what they worshipped, which was college football, and there was no doubt in my mind what consumed their life, their adulation, their adoration, their allegiance, their affection and, I’m sure, a lot of their resources.
People are going to worship. They’re going to worship something. In the Old Testament, it speaks of idolatry and Isaiah says isn’t it amazing: Here’s a piece of wood and you cut it in half, you use part of it to warm yourself, part of it to cook your food and, the other one, you set it up, and carve it and you worship it?
How stupid is that? Why do men and women love idolatry? Because, if I make the idol I worship, then who really am I worshipping? Me, the creator of the idol. That’s why we say no to the God who created us and we deny the doctrine of creation and we deny all that God has put in creation like marriage, and gender, and sex.
We’re going to worship, but what we want to do is worship false worship because to do false worship, you have to engage in idolatry and, whatever idol I make, now, ultimately, I’m worshipping myself because I am the idol maker.
Thus, the guy that invented the artificial intelligence and the technology to deliver it is now saying, “Let’s worship it.” Do you know why? He wants you to worship the artificial intelligence for the same reason he worships the artificial intelligence. Ultimately, you’re worshipping the one who put the intelligence into the technology. It is the exaltation of self.
That’s why we say constantly on this program that there are multiple world views and -isms out there – positivism, scientism, consumerism, materialism, humanism, secularism – but, in reality, they all fall under one category: the sovereign self as opposed to a world and life view affirming a sovereign, and true and living God.
The sovereign God or the sovereign self: The sovereign self gives you a whole menu of choices, while the sovereign God says, “Oh, no, your world and life view is focused upon the Triune God of Glory, it is defined by the Word of God, it is to the glory of the Father, it is secured through the Son of God, Jesus Christ, and it is empowered by the Spirit of God when he indwells you.”
This is why Paul says, in Romans 12, “Do not be conformed to this world,” – this world and life view – “but be transformed.” How? “By the renewing of your mind so that you may prove that which is good, and acceptable and perfect.”
My dear brothers and sisters, when you come to Christ, you get a new heart, you get a new record, you get a new family, you get a new life and you get a new home. However, let me tell you don’t get: you don’t get a new mind, but you do have the Word of God and the Spirit of God and you can renew your mind and that will show up in worship – Lord’s Day worship and lifestyle worship.
It will show up in worship and, therefore, we say no to idolatria and yes to the latria of the God of Glory and the way we do it is by having God give us the Mind of Christ, by the Spirit of God, through the Word of God.
You either worship the God who has revealed Himself, or you invent a God that you can worship so that you can worship yourself, the inventor.
TOM LAMPRECHT: Harry, for the Christian, I guess the silver lining might be that we can point to this story and perhaps, on the surface, it looks silly, but we can point to the fact that there is a part of us that God created that longs for worship.
DR. REEDER: Yeah, you were made for a relationship with God and that relationship is a relationship of worship: gathered worship with His people and lifestyle worship, whereby, you present your bodies as a living sacrifice. “Whether you eat or drink, or whatsoever you do, you do all to the glory of God.”
Yes, this story is so silly when we talked about doing it and I wanted to do it because it is no sillier than the silliness of the Old Testament when it talks about taking a piece of wood, cooking, and building the house and everything with it and then setting up the other half of the stump to worship.
What he’s doing is no sillier than to make football your god, to make sports your god, to make your grades in school your god or to make your athletic achievements your god. All the gods fail you. Sports are wonderful, but sports are a terrible god.
“Therefore, you cannot serve two masters; you’ll either love one or hate the other,” so the only Master we have is Jesus Christ and the only worship we want to give is to the Lord of Glory.
Artificial intelligence? That’s great but, by the way, it’s artificial and it’s only so good as what you put into it. The technology that delivers it, it’s all moral and it’s useful but, once you turn it into your object of worship, you’ve just engaged in blasphemy.
And the God of Glory, who alone should be worshipped, is a jealous God and, therefore, our idols will soon fall and, when they fall, they will consume the idolater.
However, the Lord of Glory is forever, so come to Him and know the joy of living with Him through Christ, who loved you and gave Himself for you on the cross. He’s risen and is worthy of our praise.
Dr. Harry L. Reeder III is the Senior Pastor of Briarwood Presbyterian Church in Birmingham.
This podcast was transcribed by Jessica Havin. Jessica is editorial assistant for Yellowhammer News. Jessica has transcribed some of the top podcasts in the country and her work has been featured in a New York Times Bestseller.