7. Alabama is the No. 1 seed in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and will start in Birmingham. Former Auburn star Charles Barkley says their star is lucky to not be in jail. Auburn will open in Birmingham, too.
6. Tennessee’s Lt. Governor is embarrassing himself, his family, and his political party over weird comments on a young gay man’s social media. He even was parodied “Saturday Night Live.”
5. Eight are dead in an illegal smuggling operation off the coast of San Diego and thousands attempt to overrun the southern border crossings in El Paso, Texas.
4. It appears President Joe Biden is preparing to allow one drilling project to move forward and start extracting oil while his administration is bragging about halting multiple other projects.
3. Shortly after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has targeted wokeness in education directly, Jim Purcell, director of the Alabama Commission on Higher Education, has made it clear that he is not interested in dealing with Alabama lawmakers who want to follow DeSantis’ lead. Too bad for him, it is not his choice.
2. Alabama Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth comes out in favor of removing the sales tax from groceries. Ainsworth says he is working on legislation to remove the tax and said, “(w)ith a budget surplus of almost $3 billion, we must take action now because the families of Alabama deserve it.”
1. After a run on the bank, the federal government will bail out Silicon Valley Bank or its depositors. It will allegedly cost taxpayers nothing but will be paid for with an “assessment” to banks. Regulators, geniuses, and the media insist that this bailout will not be a bailout and some even want to censor social media.
Dale Jackson is a contributing writer to Yellowhammer News and hosts a talk show from 5-9 a.m. weekdays on WVNN and on Talk 99.5 from 10 a.m. to noon.
Don’t miss out! Subscribe today to have Alabama’s leading headlines delivered to your inbox.