Numerous University of Alabama at Birmingham cancer physicians and specialists were named to the Newsweek Top Cancer Doctors 2015 list.
Newsweek Top Cancer Doctors 2015 is a list of more than 2,600 leading cancer specialists across the country arranged by location and specialty. The list was compiled through peer nominations and extensive research that Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., the well-respected publisher of America’s Top Doctors®, has conducted for more than two decades.
According to the National Cancer Institute, in 2015 an estimated 1,658,370 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States, and 589,430 people will die from the disease.
“Our doctors work every day to provide the highest quality of life for people diagnosed with cancer, while advancing the world’s understanding of cancer, and translating this knowledge into prevention, detection, treatment and survivorship,” said Edward Partridge, director of the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center. “It’s an honor to have our doctors listed so prominently on such a reputable list. We know that our physicians are some of the best in the world, but now the world knows it too.”
The Castle Connolly physician-led research team makes tens of thousands of phone calls each year, talking with leading specialists, chairs of clinical departments and vice presidents of medical affairs, seeking to gather further information regarding the top specialists for most diseases and procedures. Each year, Castle Connolly receives nearly 100,000 nominations. After a careful review of credentials, the following 21 UAB physicians were selected to be a part of Newsweek’s Top Cancer Doctors 2015 list:
– Ronald Alvarez, M.D., Gynecologic Oncology
– Kirby Bland, M.D., Surgery
– Graeme Bolger, M.D., Medical Oncology
– Robert Cerfolio, Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
– Robert Conry, M.D., Medical Oncology
– Craig Elmets, M.D., Dermatology
– John Fiveash, M.D., Radiation Oncology
– Jobe Fix, M.D., Plastic Surgery
– Andres Forero, M.D., Medical Oncology
– Barton Guthrie, M.D., Neurological Surgery
– Martin Heslin, M.D., Surgery
– Helen Krontiras, M.D., Surgery
– James Markert Jr., M.D., Neurological Surgery
– Ruby Meredith, M.D., Ph.D., Radiation Oncology
– Lisle Nabell, M.D., Medical Oncology
– Louis Nabors, III, M.D., Neurology
– Glenn Peters, M.D., Otolaryngology
– James Posey III, M.D., Medical Oncology
– Francisco Robert, M.D., Medical Oncology
– Herrick Siegel, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery
– Rodney Tucker, M.D., Hospice and Palliative Medicine
To view the complete list, see the article.