2 weeks ago

Trump’s Supreme Court shortlist includes two Alabamians

President Donald J. Trump on Wednesday announced that if another vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court occurs during his presidency, he will choose a nominee from names already announced to the public.

Trump released a shortlist for the Supreme Court previously when he was a candidate in 2016 and then added five more names during the first year of his presidency. The president on Wednesday said these potential nominees continue to be options.

He also announced 20 additional names on top of those longstanding potential nominees.

From Alabama, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit Chief Judge Bill Pryor was on the original shortlist; fellow U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit Judge Kevin Newsom was added to that shortlist in 2017. Both Alabamians apparently remain potential selections moving forward.

“Like those distinguished individuals, the 20 additions I am announcing today would be jurists in the mold of Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito,” Trump said on Wednesday. “Every one of these individuals will ensure equal justice, equal treatment and equal rights for citizens of every race, color, religion and creed. Together, we will defend our righteous heritage and preserve our magnificent American way of life.”

Pryor, 58, is a native of Mobile and served as the 45th attorney general of Alabama from 1997-2004. An appointee of President George W. Bush, Pryor since then has served on the 11th circuit. He became the court’s chief judge in June.

As attorney general, Pryor characterized Roe v. Wade as being among “the worst examples of judicial activism,” also criticizing that ruling as “a constitutional right to murder an unborn child.”

Newsom, a native of Birmingham and alumnus of Samford University, is 47-years-old. He served as solicitor general of Alabama from 2003-2007, having been appointed by Pryor in his role as attorney general at the time. Newsom would then become a partner at the prestigious Birmingham-based law firm of Bradley Arant Boult Cummings, LLP. Trump nominated Newsom to the 11th circuit in 2017, and he was quickly confirmed in impressive fashion. He was added to the SCOTUS shortlist shortly after his confirmation.

Sean Ross is the editor of Yellowhammer News. You can follow him on Twitter @sean_yhn

15 mins ago

AT&T gives $100,000 to Hurricane Sally relief efforts in Alabama

AT&T announced Monday that it is giving $100,000 to help the citizens of South Alabama recover from the destruction caused by Hurricane Sally.

The donation was given to the Governor’s Emergency Relief Fund (GERF), a pool of money to which anyone can donate that the State sets aside for use in the wake of natural disasters.

“I appreciate AT&T for immediately mobilizing their employees and their resources to offer support to our citizens, first responders and communities,” Alabama Governor Kay Ivey said in a statement on Monday.

250

The telecommunications giant also temporarily waived all overages in impacted areas, essentially giving unlimited talk, text and data to their customers in 195 Alabama and Northwest Florida zip codes from September 16 to September 23.

AT&T, along with all other major wireless carriers in the United States, has turned on a system that allows charitable giving via text message.

Anyone with a cellphone can text HURRICANES to 90999 which will trigger a $10 donation to the American Red Cross’ hurricane relief efforts.

Wayne Hutchens, president of AT&T Alabama, commented, “As our teams are working alongside their neighbors along the gulf coast to restore their communities, we are proud to support our first responders and organizations that are dedicated to helping our friends and families as they get back on their feet after the devastation of Hurricane Sally.”

The GERF, to which AT&T donated, is administered by the Governor’s Office of Volunteer Services and was created after Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina in 2004 and 2005, according to its website.

Any person with a credit card can donate to the Relief Fund here, via a portal made possible by the United Ways of Alabama.

“Even as we see tremendous suffering in the aftermath of Hurricane Sally, we also see shining examples of commitment and care. This is a time for the entire state to rally behind the good people of South Alabama,” Ivey remarked on Monday.

Henry Thornton is a staff writer for Yellowhammer News. You can contact him by email: henry@yellowhammernews.com or on Twitter @HenryThornton95

30 mins ago

Doug Jones backs keeping Senate’s 60-vote cloture threshold, opposes packing the Supreme Court

U.S. Senator Doug Jones (D-AL) has addressed whether the United States Senate should end the filibuster as we know it.

Certain national Democrats, including U.S. Senator Ed Markey (D-MA) over the weekend, have come out in support of ending the filibuster if Democrats take back the Senate in November’s general election.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has said Democrats will consider this, as well as drastic options such as packing the court.

“Nothing’s off the table,” Schumer said.

729

This type of rhetoric came after Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away on Friday and it became clear that President Donald Trump plans to put forward a nominee to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court of the United States.

The Senate’s current rule requires 60 votes to end a filibuster, otherwise known as invoking cloture.

Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) in 2013 dropped the threshold from 60 votes to end a filibuster to a simple majority for all executive branch nominees. This paved the way for the same being done for judicial nominees, including SCOTUS nominations.

Reid in recent days told Fox News the filibuster will soon be completely gone.

“It’s not a question of if (the filibuster) is going to be gone. It’s a question of when it’s going to be done,” Reid asserted. “The filibuster is history. It won’t be in existence next year at this time.”

However, Alabama’s junior senator is pushing back.

In an interview with Vox published on Monday, Jones voiced support for the 60-vote threshold needed to invoke cloture.

Transcript as follows, courtesy of Vox:

Ella Nilsen:

I wanted to get your thoughts on filibuster reform. Do you think that’s an option Democrats should pursue if you are in the majority in the Senate but you’re dealing with an obstinate Republican minority?

Doug Jones:

I know there’s a lot of talk about that. And also know, if Joe Biden is president of the United States, Biden has a 40-year history of working with Republicans. And no matter what happens during the election season, they all like him; I’ve heard that time and time again. Joe is the kind of guy that’s a Senate institutionalist. I really believe he will want to work with Republicans to try to get things done. This ability to just go from one Senate majority to the other with or without the president, it’s not good for the country.

I think the filibuster rule is a way that you have to reach out. That’s what I do every day when I’m in the Senate, and sometimes I have to reach out within my own party to try to pull people together. I think Joe’s gonna give this a chance, and I’m very hopeful that Senate Republicans will take the opportunity to move together.

Let’s get the Senate back to some regular order where we can debate the issues of the day, have amendments on the issues of the day, vote on them up or down, let the president do what he’s going to do. But give the president an opportunity to find that common ground.

It is by finding common ground that we move forward, not by just doing it by simple whim of who happens to be in the majority, because then you’re gonna see, just like we’re seeing with executive orders playing out — a new president comes in, gets rid of all his predecessor’s executive orders, those new ones that we don’t need to see that’s happening with legislation.

We need to see some consistency. I think filibuster rule, the 60-vote margin, is a way to do that.

On Monday, Jones also addressed the potential of packing the court and other general actions Democrats could take in response to Trump nominating and the Senate confirming a new Supreme Court justice in the coming weeks.

In a Facebook livestream hosted by his reelection campaign, Jones was asked if he supported “packing the court” by increasing the number of justices on the Supreme Court. Theoretically, a Democratic-controlled Congress could pass legislation doing so, to be signed by 2020 Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, if the upcoming election goes their way. Biden could then fill the court with liberal justices, who would only need a majority vote in a Democrat-controlled Senate.

Jones on the notion of packing the court said, “I don’t agree.”

“I don’t believe in retaliatory measures,” he explained. “I just think that that is crazy.”

The senator subsequently outlined that packing the courts would destroy the U.S. Constitution’s system of checks and balances.

“I am not for retaliatory measures,” Jones added. “I think, you know we’ve had nine folks on the Supreme Court since 1869, I believe. And it’s worked out pretty well over the years. … I just don’t think that people should start trying to threaten or do retaliation measures like that.”

Sean Ross is the editor of Yellowhammer News. You can follow him on Twitter @sean_yhn

2 hours ago

Tuberville drops ad — Anyone who burns U.S. flag ‘should go to prison’

On Monday, the Tuberville campaign announced a new 30-second TV ad that highlighted his father’s World War II military service and calls for individuals who burn the American flag to be put in “prison.”

According to a release from the campaign, the ad will be airing on broadcast and cable stations throughout Alabama as well as digitally on social media outlets.

139



Transcript as follows:

Tommy Tuberville walking through empty football stands and speaking into camera Tuberville: Hello, I’m Tommy Tuberville. I’m proud to have won a lot of big football games, but I’m prouder to be the son of a veteran.

My Dad was 18 when he stormed the beaches of Normandy, and we live in the greatest nation on Earth because of patriots like him.

I’ll stand with President Trump to keep American great, and anyone who burns this flag should go to prison.

I approved this message because in the Senate, I’ll donate my salary to the veterans of the great state of Alabama.

@Jeff_Poor is a graduate of Auburn University and the University of South Alabama, the editor of Breitbart TV, a columnist for Mobile’s Lagniappe Weekly and host of Mobile’s “The Jeff Poor Show” from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. on FM Talk 106.5.

4 hours ago

7 Things: RBG replacement fight looms, Jones pledges to stop Trump, no Labor Day coronavirus spike and more …

7. Tuberville holding a fundraiser in Florida

  • Former Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville has been criticized throughout his campaign for U.S. Senate about how he moved from Florida to Alabama just to run for office, and now he’s holding a fundraiser in Florida. 
  • Monday, Tuberville will be holding a campaign fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. The Alabama Democratic Party executive director said this decision makes sense as it’s Tuberville’s “home state,” adding that “he still doesn’t understand the kitchen table issues that matter to Alabamians.”

6. Envelope to Trump contained ricin

494

  • A letter to President Donald Trump and the White House is being investigated after it tested positive for the poison ricin. 
  • The FBI said that there’s “no known threat to public safety.” The FBI will be joined by the Secret Service and the U.S Postal Investigation Service in the investigation. 

5. Hurricane Sally cleanup could cost $19 million for Mobile

  • It’s been estimated that the cost of cleaning up after Hurricane Sally could cost $19 million, according to the Mobile County Emergency Management. 
  • This estimate just includes what local areas are likely to spend on road and bridge repair, utilities and debris removal. The final cost is expected to be higher. 

4. No coronavirus spike since Labor Day

  • Alabama health officials were concerned that Alabama could see a spike in coronavirus cases after the Labor Day holiday, similar to spikes seen after Memorial Day and Independence Day. 
  • Thankfully, there hasn’t been a spike in coronavirus cases after almost two weeks, as coronavirus cases and hospitalizations have leveled out and slowly declined throughout the state. 

3. Ruth Bader Ginsburg passes

  • At 87-years-old, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away after a battle with pancreas cancer. She was the second woman ever appointed to the court in 1993 by President Bill Clinton. 
  • In a released statement by U.S. Senator Doug Jones (D-AL), he spoke about her career and legacy, saying that “she inspired generations of young women to reach for heights that previously felt impossible.” U.S. Senate candidate Tommy Tuberville spoke similarly of Ginsburg, stating, “She fought hard for her beliefs and carried the respect of her fellow justices, liberal and conservative alike.”

2. Jones fundraising email mentions Ruth Bader Ginsburg

  • After the passing of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday, U.S. Senator Doug Jones’ (D-AL) reelection campaign sent out a fundraising email over the weekend that mentioned RBG’s passing. 
  • In the email, Jones says that he’s “saddened” by how her death has been politicized by President Donald Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). He goes on to warn, “So much depends on this Senate seat. Our win in November will be a defeat of Mitch McConnell’s hypocrisy and cynicism.”

1. President Donald Trump promises to nominate a woman to SCOTUS

  • After the passing of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, many are questioning who President Donald Trump will nominate to take RGB’s place on the court. 
  • Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign has released a statement detailing that the president will nominate a woman. Communications director Tim Murtaugh clarified that Trump has every right to make this nomination, arguing, “There has been an open seat on the Supreme Court in a presidential election year 29 times in American history, and in every single case, the president has nominated a candidate.”

5 hours ago

Three SW Alabama counties approved for federal disaster assistance after Hurricane Sally

Governor Kay Ivey and Congressman Bradley Byrne (AL-01) on Sunday confirmed that President Donald J. Trump has approved a major disaster declaration authorizing aid to the parts of Alabama most impacted by Hurricane Sally last week.

The disaster aid will come through FEMA’s Public Assistance and Individual Assistance programs for the counties of Baldwin, Mobile and Escambia.

Byrne said in a statement, “Help is on the way to Alabamians impacted by Hurricane Sally. I offer my sincerest thank you to President Trump and FEMA for quickly approving additional disaster assistance as we begin the difficult rebuilding process along the Gulf Coast. While there is work to be done, Alabama will come together to rebuild after this storm as we have in the past.”

154

To check eligibility for disaster assistance programs, call 1-800-621-3362. The news came the same day that FEMA Administrator Pete Gaynor was in Baldwin County to tour storm damage.

Ivey stated, “When I was on the coast Friday, it was clear that there has been significant damage, and people are in need of relief. My Office has been working on putting in the request for individual and public assistance to help bring the needed aid, and I appreciate FEMA for quickly delivering to the people of Alabama. Being approved for individual and public assistance is an important step in the recovery process. Coastal Alabama, we are with you the whole way!”

RELATED: Ivey tours battered Gulf Coast; Area officials say progress being made, ask for patience

The Trump administration had already approved Ivey’s Monday request for a pre-landfall Emergency Disaster Declaration.

Sean Ross is the editor of Yellowhammer News. You can follow him on Twitter @sean_yhn