“Rumors and Rumblings” is a weekly feature that runs each Wednesday. It includes short nuggets of information that we glean from conversations throughout the week. Have a tip? Send it here.
1. With current House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Pete King stepping down, Alabama Congressman Mike Rogers is in the running for the position. If Rogers lands the gig, he could form a formidable team with fellow Alabamian Robert Aderholt who currently chairs the Homeland Security Sub Committee on Appropriations.
2. A growing chorus is calling for Republican Senator Ben Brooks of Mobile to step down. Brooks won the Republican nomination for Mobile County circuit judge in March and faces no general election opponent. If Brooks continues to prolong the process, it could pose some problems for Republicans during early legislative fights in the Senate because they would no longer have enough Republicans to invoke cloture. State Rep. Jim Barton is poised to run for Brooks Senate seat in a special election.
3. The Senate GOP Caucus is hosting a fundraiser next Thursday night, the 28th at Capitol City club at 5pm.
4. Governor Bentley is set to address the ALGOP Executive Committee during their meeting Saturday morning.
5. Rumor out of D.C. this week is that EADS is prepping a big announcement with regard to Alabama. EADS is the European parent company of multiple aviation corporations including Airbus, Astrium, Cassidian and Eurocopter. The timetable on the announcement is uncertain.