Intense public backlash appears to have at least temporarily slowed plans for a proposed Dolly Parton Pirates Voyage Dinner Theater in Orange Beach after the project’s Planned Unit Development request was pulled from this week’s Orange Beach Planning Commission agenda.
The move came just days after residents packed the Orange Beach Performing Arts Center for a standing-room-only town hall meeting where citizens voiced concerns over traffic, environmental impacts and whether the proposed attraction fits the long-term vision and character of Orange Beach.
The proposed Pirates Voyage Dinner Theater would be built on a 24-acre property off Orange Beach Boulevard at the current site of Beech Camper & Mobile Home Park. The development is tied to a reported $14 million property purchase contingent upon approval of the Planned Unit Development request.
According to the Mullet Wrapper, the project’s management firm, World Choice Investments of Pigeon Forge, withdrew the item from the May 11 Planning Commission agenda. The outlet reported the proposal must still appear before the commission by June 8 or the application process would have to begin again.
Residents opposing the project have argued the issue is not necessarily the theater itself, but the proposed location along one of Orange Beach’s busiest routes.
During the town hall meeting, residents raised concerns about increased congestion on Highway 161, drainage into Terry Cove, environmental impacts and the preservation of trees and wildlife habitat. Others questioned whether the development aligns with the city’s 2020 comprehensive plan.
The Mullet Wrapper also stated that a petition effort opposing the location of the theater also quickly gained traction online. Orange Beach resident Dean Remington said in a Facebook post following the withdrawal announcement that a petition opposing the project location gathered more than 1,300 signatures within days.
“I truly believe the town hall and the voices of our community made a difference,” Remington wrote.
“No matter where you stood on this issue, this was a reminder that community involvement matters and that the people should always have a voice in the future of their city,” he added.
The proposed dinner theater would reportedly span approximately 59,000 square feet and feature up to three shows daily during the summer tourism season.
Orange Beach Mayor Tony Kennon previously defended the city’s review process during the town hall while emphasizing that development of the property is likely regardless of whether the theater project ultimately moves forward. Kennon also said the city has discussed potentially purchasing part of the property for drainage and conservation purposes.
Kennon said during the town hall that Highway 161 is operating at roughly 70% capacity, citing information from ALDOT.
City officials also estimated a sold-out show would generate approximately 285 vehicles.
Still, questions surrounding the project’s future remain.
For now, the proposal may be off the agenda, but the larger debate over growth, tourism and the future character of Orange Beach appears far from settled.
Sherri Blevins is a staff writer for Yellowhammer News. You may contact her at [email protected].

