The Morgan County honey bun extortion case has resulted in felony charges against a North Alabama corrections veteran with more than two decades of service at the county jail.
Authorities charged Jarvis Moore, a 24-year veteran of the Morgan County Jail, with seven counts of felony extortion connected to incidents involving honey buns and other store items taken from inmates. Moore turned himself in on the charges on Friday.
Moore’s attorney, Scott Morro, said jail officials previously terminated Moore’s employment in September after determining he had taken honey buns and commissary goods from inmates.
Moore has acknowledged removing the items but maintains the actions followed an established internal practice in which commissary products were reassigned after inmate misconduct, including fire-setting incidents.
The investigation into the missing snack items began in August and was later turned over to the district attorney’s office in November, before Moore publicly posted a campaign support video for former Sheriff Ana Franklin.
Moore and his attorney contend the prosecution is retaliatory, though Sheriff Ron Puckett said the charges are “not about honey buns,” and that the case involves more than the pantry staple.
After leaving Morgan County employment, Moore briefly worked at the Madison County Jail but was dismissed after officials there learned of the felony charges. Prosecutors say an assistant district attorney with no prior connection to Moore will handle the case. Court filings have been delayed due to courthouse renovations.
Moore has not yet entered a formal plea. The case remains pending.
Courtesy of 256 Today

