3 weeks ago

Alabama State Rep. Debbie Wood opens up about breast cancer, positive influences

State Rep. Debbie Wood (R-Valley) knows first hand how quickly life can change.

“It stops. It just kind of came to a halt. All of a sudden, we had a new journey,” she said.

In 2015, Wood and her husband were driving when she was called by East Alabama Medical Center-Lanier Medical Center and asked to come in for a biopsy.

The next day, she had an answer: breast cancer.

“When you hear the word ‘cancer,’ you immediately think ‘I’m going to die,’” Wood shared with Yellowhammer News. “Or at least I did.”

Immediately, her life had taken on a radically different focus.

“It wasn’t if I had bought the best car, or did I live in the house I wanted, or if I had enough money — it was ‘have I left a legacy for my kids, have I treated my husband the way I wanted, did I treat my parents well?’” she emphasized.

Wood stressed that she also had to do some soul searching.

“I don’t think anybody is just placed on this earth to do whatever they want to do and not think about consequences,” she commented. “Whatever it is, you are here for a reason.”

For Wood, finding her breast cancer took over a year. She had gone to her family doctor after finding a lump in her breast and had a mammogram that came back clean. Days before she was called for the biopsy, she noticed a dimple in her skin. Her family doctor had retired, so she went to another doctor, who then ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound led to the biopsy, which confirmed the diagnosis.

Five surgeries later, including a double mastectomy, removal of her ovaries and breast reconstruction, Wood now takes a single tablet every day to hopefully slow the growth of any tumors that may reoccur.

Despite everything she has gone through, Wood is surprisingly upbeat about her cancer.

“It has probably enhanced my life, because I was in a rut. It rekindled in me that there was something else to do,” she outlined. “I could have stayed home if I wanted to with that diagnosis. But that is not what I chose to do, because I will not allow anything to defeat me.”

At the time of her diagnosis, Wood was a Chambers County Commissioner in addition to being a real estate broker/owner, wife and mother.

Impressively, she only missed a handful of commission meetings while she was undergoing treatment.

Then, in 2018 when former State Rep. Isaac Whorton decided he was not going seek reelection in Alabama House District 38, Wood decided it was her time to run. She won that election and now is working to craft legislation to make sure women get all the information they need when dealing with breast cancer.

In her situation, Wood was not informed that she had dense breast tissue, which may have delayed her diagnosis. In Georgia, the law requires medical professionals to inform women if they have dense breast tissue. Wood plans to introduce a bill in the next session to give women in Alabama that same protection.

She has also become a vocal advocate for breast cancer awareness outside the halls of the legislature.

Wood encourages all women to do regular self-examinations and, if they feel something, to see a doctor immediately. Additionally, she urges women to fully discuss any diagnostic tests and results with their physician so they understand what the results mean, what the chances are that the test missed something and the signs they need to keep looking for to catch any cancer as early as possible.

“You have to take responsibility for your own care,” she advised.

Finally, Wood believes women need to surround themselves with positive influences during that scary time.

“Find people that will surround you with a positive attitude because that will carry you through everything,” Wood emphasized. “There will be days you will be depressed. There will be days you will be scared.”

“If you hear that word (cancer), you will be scared and worried but you have to have positive people in your life that support you and tell you that you will make it,” she concluded.

Wood is looking forward to March 16, 2020, which will be five years since her double mastectomy.

RELATED: Roby: Highlighting National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

3 mins ago

Former Bama star Jalen Hurts befriends bullied boy — ‘It meant the world to me’

Former University of Alabama star quarterback Jalen Hurts continues to be an exemplary role model.

This past weekend, Hurts’ current team — the University of Oklahoma Sooners — hosted 12-year-old Rayden Overbay as their special guest.

Overbay, who has autism, Type 2 diabetes and is deaf in one ear, went viral recently — but not for a good reason. The boy made national headlines after being assaulted by bullies in two separate incidents, each recorded on video.

Hurts heard about Overbay’s story, and the Heisman contender spent time with him after the Sooners’ game against Iowa State on Saturday in the locker room.

In a video posted by ESPN, Hurts can be seen signing a football for the boy before telling him that he and his teammates are behind him.

Hurts also told OU Daily how important the experience was to him.

The quarterback said Overbay inspires him.

“I mean honestly, Rayden is an inspiration to me,” Hurts said. “I told him he was a soldier for just how he handled himself. It meant the world to me honestly to meet him. That whole meeting was great for me, and he has a friend in me.”

1 hour ago

Siegelman: Expect a Roy Moore-Doug Jones rematch in 2020

Now that former U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions is officially a candidate for U.S. Senate, many political prognosticators say he is a lock to regain the Senate seat he held for two decades, which is currently occupied by Sen. Doug Jones (D-Mountain Brook).

Not so fast, says former Democrat Gov. Don Siegelman.

During an appearance on WVNN’s “The Jeff Poor Show,” Siegelman predicted Sessions would fade and argued the race would be won by former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore. If that came to be, Moore would face Jones in a rematch of the 2017 special election.

“There are multiple reasons,” Siegelman, author of the forthcoming book “A Theft of Power: Stealing Our Democracy,” said. “Frankly, I think Jeff is in trouble. He is being branded and has been branded by some Trump supporters as a traitor to Trump, someone who turned his back on Trump. Whether that’s just in Trump’s mind or in all of those voters’ minds, it doesn’t matter. I think it has hurt him. And as I mentioned on MSNBC, I have a book coming out this spring where I detail my crossroads – where Jeff Sessions and I have met over time when I was secretary of state, attorney general, and on. Those are not particularly flattering compliments – when he opposed the lawsuit against Big Tobacco. Whether that impacts a Republican primary or not, I don’t know.”

“I do know this: Most of Donald Trump’s voters were evangelical,” he continued. “And I do know the constitutional amendment that passed in 2018 requiring that the Ten Commandments be posted in every public place received over a million votes in Alabama. And I do know that Roy Moore is branded as the Ten Commandments judge. I think Roy Moore has a silent Christian vote that is huge. And I think they’re going to come out and vote for him. This is a guy that gave up his seat on the Supreme Court because of his belief in the Ten Commandments. And you know, say what you want about Roy Moore – I think he has got a strong base.”

Siegelman indicated that Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill could be a sleeper in the race but pointed to constitutional amendments that passed in 2018 on the general election ballot as a strong indicator for Moore.

“John and Coach Tuberville I think have a statewide name recognition,” Siegelman added. “I think John Merrill has an advantage over all of the candidates except for Sessions and Moore, in that he has a city-by-city, county-by-county political base, which Tuberville does not have. If Merrill finds a way to gain traction, he could move ahead of Tuberville and be ready to enter a Republican runoff should Sessions fail. Those are the kinds of political maneuvers that we will see happening over the next several months. I think right now, the way I see it, and because of the silent Christian majority in Alabama, and say silent – let me explain why: Because there are 399,000 additional Republican votes that came out and came out and largely to vote for the two constitutional amendments, against abortion and for the Ten Commandments. That is a sizeable chunk of voters, and I think those voters will largely go to Judge Moore. So I think he has a place in the runoff.”

@Jeff_Poor is a graduate of Auburn University, the editor of Breitbart TV and host of “The Jeff Poor Show” from 2-5 p.m. on WVNN in Huntsville.

Living Life On Purpose with Matt Wilson Episode 12: Interview with Chris and Sophie Corder

Many marriages go through difficult situations and end in disaster. Addiction, infidelity, anger and deception are just a few of the things that Chris and Sophie Corder walked through in theirs. However, through the grace of God, and His miraculous life-changing power, their marriage has been restored and strengthened. Now, they want to encourage other people through their triumph. They have turned pain into purpose and want to show how God can do anything if we will get out of the way and let Him.

Veteran helped by Alabama deputies could reconnect with son

JASPER, ALA. (AP) — A social media post about a veteran wearing an oxygen mask while walking down a road may help connect the man to his estranged son.

The Morgan County Sheriff’s Office said in a Facebook post that the Gulf War veteran attempted to walk about 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Walker County to Huntsville for an appointment Wednesday because his car wasn’t working.

A Walker County deputy worked with other deputies to transport him to and from his appointment at the VA. News reports identify him as Gerald Baldwin.

The post has more than 150,000 shares. Baldwin’s son Lance in Pennsylvania saw the story and recognized his father. He told news outlets Sunday that the two hadn’t spoken in about five years. He now plans to reach out to his father.

(Associated Press, copyright 2019)

Sign-up now for our daily newsletter and never miss another article from Yellowhammer News.

Editor’s note — The aforementioned Facebook post is as follows:

Auburn’s famed golden eagle Nova possibly in early stages of heart failure

Auburn University’s widely known golden eagle Nova, War Eagle VII, could potentially be in the early stages of heart failure, according to university veterinarians and a press release issued last week.

“The 20-year-old male eagle received a biannual checkup in early October at the College of Veterinary Medicine followed by another echocardiogram Oct. 31.,” the statement stated. “In 2017 he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a chronic disease of the heart, and was sidelined from flying at football games to reduce stress.”

“Nova’s condition has been medically managed and he has remained stable during the past two years, however, during his October exam, we observed decreased systolic function and enlarged vessels in his liver,” said Dr. Seth Oster, faculty avian veterinarian for the college’s Southeastern Raptor Center. “This could be an indication of the early stages of heart failure.”

Veterinarians also said they increased Nova’s dosage in a new round of treatments and that they will monitor how he responds.

“We will know more after we see how Nova responds to his latest rounds of treatment,” Oster said.

According to Andrew Hopkins, the assistant director of raptor training and education, Nova’s appearance at the Southeastern Raptor Center’s educational programs will be limited as veterans continue to monitor his progress.

The statement released on Nova’s health also provided background information on Nova.

It read, “Nova was hatched in 1999 at the Montgomery Zoo and was non-releasable due to human imprinting. He came to Auburn in 2000, made his first pre-game flight in 2004 and was designated War Eagle VII in 2006. He has helped promote wildlife conservation and awareness at almost 2,000 educational programs at the raptor center and at schools and conservation events around the Southeast. Raptor center staff conduct almost 300 presentations annually.”

Aurea, a 5-year-old female golden eagle, and Spirit, a 23-year-old female bald eagle, have both made pregame flights this season in Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Kyle Morris also contributes daily to Breitbart News. You can follow him on Twitter @RealKyleMorris.