- What went wrong in Florida shooting? 4 crucial things that were missing
- Cultural elite markets & glamorizes transgenderism to teens, percentages rising
- Where does sexual anarchy lead? Look to Europe’s incest & polygamy legislative initiatives
- Should the evil misuse of liberty mean we give up liberty?
- How to interpret those alarming church statistics
- Why the televangelist who claims there’s no flu is dead-wrong
- Should colleges be required to provide abortion pills?
- The inspiring Super Bowl faith stories showing coaches and players on mission
- Did you know these little known facts about Abe Lincoln?
- Do American teenagers now feel like they ‘should’ have an attention-getting sexual orientation?
- SHOCKING: Dutch woman’s euthanasia horror story and what this means in our death culture
- Here’s what the 38-year-old pedophile who claims he’s a 9-year-old has in common with Netherlands euthanasia case
- Hundreds of Yale students cram into prof’s class on happiness — Here’s what they are looking for
- Revisiting Trump’s State of the Union and the Democrat leaders’ ‘morose’ reactions
- STEP UP LEADERS: Shocking Evangelical statistics, abortion positions should wake us into action
- What happened to ‘safe, legal & rare’ rhetoric? Media, Senate cheerlead abortion practice that puts us with N. Korea, Russia and China
- BORN ALIVE: Abortion legislation is step forward, reveals absurdity — a team to kill baby or save it
- Christians should stop acting like children are a burden
- What the British ‘Minister of Loneliness’ position tells us about culture
- Is the Bible historically accurate? New archaeology find in Israel raises recurring questions
- Be sure your (Twitter) sins will find you out
- Reasons for pro-lifers to rejoice — and double-down — on abortion issues
- How to debate with decorum … and why profane, vulgar arguments reveal weak arguments & minds
- WAKE UP: Pornography is not victimless — it destroys lives and kills people
- Persecution, violence against Christians significantly increased world-wide in 2017
- 3 things contributing to the U.S. drop in life expectancy
- Gov’t attempted to silence this Christian who’s bringing Martin Luther King’s fight to modern times
- Iranian Christians fleeing persecution should get U.S. care and refuge
- What we can learn from the Alabama & Georgia quarterbacks’ post-game responses
- What does academic intolerance of real debate mean for free speech?
- Do you know the frivolous programs your tax dollars fund?
- Blaring Bannon coverage begs question: What’s happened to journalism?
- Call to Christians: Engage in politics & evangelism out of love for neighbor
- New York City votes to fine Biblical counselors for gender dysphoria therapy
- 10 campaign promises Donald Trump kept — or attempted to keep — in his first year
- Is it pointless to make New Year’s resolutions?
- The top 11 news, faith and culture headlines of 2017
- American attitudes about children contribute to our shrinking birth rate
- Here’s what Trump got right (and wrong) in his national security speech
- Tax reform explained: How it helps our culture, our families, our economics
- Advent and Christmas, ever wondered what’s the difference?
- Reformed Christians have lost one of their great theologians, pastors
- The 2 ungodly reactions to politics, current events that Christians must avoid
- Want our trust? The 7 things an elected official MUST do to gain it
- Christian voters faced 4 options in Senate race … only 1 is inexcusable, says Evangelical pastor
- Where the death culture leads: Lawsuits over disabled children who ‘should’ have been aborted
- What’s at stake in the Masterpiece Cakeshop Supreme Court decision
- How to put Trump’s U.S. embassy move to Jerusalem in historical and biblical perspective
- Pastor Harry Reeder: There is hope and a way forward for the Matt Lauers in our lives
- Pastor Harry Reeder: If Supreme Court gets Colorado cake baker, same-sex marriage case wrong, it will be culture tipping point
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Liberal ‘Christianity’ is antithetical to Christianity
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Abortion industry ‘doulas’ try to normalize killing of unborn, but we know abortion is not normal
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Trump’s judicial nominee list shows his commitment to originalists and constitutionalists
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Some evangelicals disagree, but here’s why it’s good to emphasize church celebrations during Christmas
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Our military is weakening and here’s why we need it strong
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Why would we be surprised when culture lives out sexual sin it has promoted for years?
- Pastor Harry Reeder: Churches must stay on-mission as evangelists, not cultural acceptance-seekers
- Pastor Harry Reeder: The Museum of the Bible is a great idea…provided we don’t worship the Bible
- Harry Reeder on sexual reckoning: Our conscience tells us ‘something’s wrong here’ even while our culture promotes sin
- Reeder: We have to be honest despite history rewrites– Pilgrims gave thanks to God
- Reeder: It is ‘absolutely ludicrous’ to think a mother’s absence in crucial first 3 years has no effect
- Reeder: Australian same-sex marriage survey a ‘profile in cowardice’ not courage
- Reeder: Believers ‘speaking up’ made real difference in adoption tax credit provision
- Reeder: Secular culture wants more than ‘tolerance’, insists upon abortion and sexual anarchy ‘celebration’
- Reeder on Roy Moore chaos: ‘Do the next right thing’
- Reeder: Here’s what Christians should say when traditional marriage views are labeled ‘bigotry’
- Reeder on church leaders not meeting privately with the other sex: ‘I’ll take the criticism….I learned it from Billy Graham’
- Reeder on LGBTQ campus activists: ‘They don’t want to debate what a marriage actually is. They want to silence those they cannot answer.’
- Yes, it’s ridiculous there’s a new religion dedicated to AI….but here’s why it matters
- Reeder on Tuesday’s elections: ‘To see this as a referendum on Trump is overstating it’
- Lots of older pastors, not many young ones — what’s going on?
- Elitist ‘gender-isn’t-real’ culture has descended into sophisticated imbecility
- Feeling any Christmas guilt? Here’s the type you should ignore and the type you should face
- Two terminally-ill patients who refused assisted suicide to help others & show life’s sanctity
- HuffPost in a huff about Christian who says she is no longer lesbian
- Religious freedoms under attack — lukewarm, mushy middle Christians will have to choose hot or cold
Listen to the 10 min audio
Read the transcript:
NEW PRO-LIFE GOVERNMENT ACTIONS
TOM LAMPRECHT: Harry, two news stories, one out of National Review, the other out of The Washington Examiner. Recently, the House passed legislation that obligates health care workers to provide specific level of care to babies who are born alive after an abortion attempt. Harry, there are times during an abortion procedure when babies are born alive. The law now mandates that doctors present at that occasion need to do all they can do to save the baby’s life.
Second story out of the National Review, on January the 18th, the Trump administration announced the creation of the Conscience and Religious Freedom Division of Health and Human Services.
“This is very good news. Not only does it further the cause of religious freedom, but it recognizes that religious freedom is more than just the right to believe what we want in the privacy of our heads, homes and houses of worship. Instead, it’s the right to orient our lives, including our public lives, around those beliefs.”
ARE RELUCTANT TRUMP VOTERS GRATEFUL?
DR. REEDER: Actually, it has to be said, with just a reading of it, surprisingly, there were a number of evangelicals that had a very difficult time in terms of this last presidential election who they were going to vote for in light of the Republican candidate being Donald Trump because of a number of things that he had said and done, and a number of positions that he had taken historically, and as well as some of his verbal comments and language, etc., character issues.
But, finally, when they were down to it, “Do I vote for Trump or do I vote for Hillary,” well, Hillary is absolutely fully committed and on-board for abortion at all times, any time, and taxpayer funding, and removing of all of the amendments that keeps taxpayer money away from the funding of abortion. So, for a lot of believers, it just got down to, “Which one do I do? Well, I cannot vote against the sanctity of life. I cannot vote for the wholesale destruction of the unborn, so I’m just going to hold my nose and pull the lever.” That was the way some approached it and most of it is around the issue of the sanctity of life.
It has to be said that, at least to this point, that promise from today’s President trump on the campaign trails as to his commitment to sanctity of life has proven not only more consistent, but has proven more active than any president since Ronald Reagan and it actually, in some ways, has surpassed what Ronald Reagan was able to accomplish on the sanctity of life.
He has significantly moved the dial. He has removed the abortifacient requirement mandate from Obamacare. He has freed up the Medicaid requirement and the threats against states. The defunding of Planned Parenthood is now allowed in states and it looks like it’s going to come to fruition on the federal level, particularly if the Republicans can maintain some kind of a majority in the coming election. The Justice Department is now investigating Planned Parenthood.
And here is this absolutely wonderful legislation that makes it abundantly clear that doctors, and nurses, and medical personnel who have convictions are not required to participate in the killing of the unborn that they are allowed to practice their religion which is, “I believe in the sanctity of life.”
MEDICAL FIELD NEEDS PROTECTIONS FOR CONSCIENCE
Up until now, there have been many threats, including many medical colleges that, if you don’t participate in an abortion, you cannot finish your medical degree. Many hospitals require you to take a round of abortion and that you have to participate in an abortion procedure. Now medical personnel doctors and nurses are protected.
And now, Tom, we have this further order and legislation that declares that, if a child survives an abortion procedure, then the child must be affirmed as living and receive all care necessary to maintain their life.
That leads us into a situation that’s almost ridiculous. You’ve got equipment and personnel set up to do a procedure that will kill the unborn child, but you also have to have available personnel and equipment available to maintain the child’s life if they survive the attempt of the one group and one technology to kill the child. If the child survives it, then you’ve got another group there that is now required to save the child.
And, while, on the face of it, it looks ridiculous, at least on the battle for the sanctity of life, it is a step forward to maintain the fact that, if that child survives, then we must give everything to maintain the life of that child.
LAW REVEALS RIDICULOUSNESS OF CURRENT REALITY
Now, why has this been done? Well, the previous news report had to be done because of the attempt to coerce all doctors and nurses and medical personnel to participate in abortion regardless of their religious convictions as to the sanctity of life. And now this one is important because what we were having is you do have children that actually survive this abortion attempt and then they were just thrown into trash bins, they were suffocated, they were put to death so what we’re saying is you cannot do that. If this child’s born alive, you must save their life. You must make every effort to maintain their life.
Tom, as ludicrous as it looks like– one team to kill, one team to save if it survives the killing, at least it is a step forward, again, to reclaim some ground on the sanctity of life.
Tom, this battle is going to continue and, as much as believers and those who believe in the sanctity of life would love to have one fell swoop and do away with Roe v. Wade and I’m hoping, one day, that will be reversed and these issues, if nothing else, will be returned to states, at least, and let states deal with it where it’s easier to bring sanity to this issue of the sanctity of life I am grateful for anything that moves the dial forward toward the sanctity of life, yet always realizing we haven’t arrived where we need to be.
ON THE WAY TO TRUE RESPECT FOR LIFE, WE APPRECIATE EACH STEP
And where we need to be is that every life is sacred, every life is declared made in the image of God, every life is recognized with dignity and they are not destroyed because they are unwanted or less than perfect.
I long for us to get back to that day and then Christians all stand in line, “If you don’t want the child and the child is born, then we’re not going to kill it, but we’ll be there to adopt it and we’ll be there to help you through that process.”
That’s where I hope and pray, but any way that we can move toward that, I am perfectly grateful and I am grateful for another step that has now taken place in the context of this administration. And I’m grateful for it, want to take advantage of it, but let’s not lose the sight, and that is the sacredness of life, the sanctity of life and, once again, the womb would be a safe place for each and every life that God has granted in the process of conception.
TOMORROW’S TOPIC: NEW CHRISTIAN DOCUMENTARY DRAWS IRE
TOM LAMPRECHT: Harry, on tomorrow’s edition of Today in Perspective, I want to take you to an article out of The Huffington Post. There is an astonishing new video produced by a Christian media company called “Anchored North.” In this production, a former lesbian woman tells her story of how she came to Christ. Predictably, The Huffington Post has looked down upon this piece.
DR. REEDER: Yeah, looking forward to it, Tom. There are two significant errors in The Huffington Post. We will have the opportunity to both expose that as well as rejoice in the power of the Gospel to not only forgive, but transform.
Dr. Harry L. Reeder III is the Senior Pastor of Briarwood Presbyterian Church in Birmingham.
This podcast was transcribed by Jessica Havin, editorial assistant for Yellowhammer News. Jessica has transcribed some of the top podcasts in the country and her work has been featured in a New York Times Bestseller.