Fincher made a name for himself in Republican circles during the 2013 legislative session by sponsoring the Alabama Accountability Act, the GOP’s landmark school choice bill that was the most-discussed issue of the session.
Fincher will join State Rep. Randy Davis, Journalist Quin Hillyer, businessman Dean Young, former Marine James Halland, realtor Jessica James, and former state senator Bradley Byrne is the official entrants into the race. State Senators Trip Pittman and Bill Hightower, and Baldwin County Commissioner Tucker Dorsey, among others, remain on the fence.
“Fincher’s a sleeper in this race,” a Republican political consultant told Yellowhammer Thursday morning. “He may not have the name ID that a Byrne or a Pittman have, but if he can raise the money, he’ll be a strong candidate with a real shot at making it a race.”
What else is going on?
1. Hillyer fires first shots of the AL-01 race, releases TV/web ad
2. Roby touts amendment to prohibit bonuses for VA executives
3. Alabama Democrats & Farrakhan get the old band back together
4. Sessions, Cruz, Lee & Grassley team up to fight gang of eight immigration bill
5. Wetumpka Tea Party president gives emotional congressional testimony